What to do what to do. Essentially the question is this: Big company vs small school district. Where should I work?
I interviewed at MassMutual today regarding a summer internship, its a pretty neat place I must say. The interview went well, and in the end I was offered the job; which was cool. So now I have to decide what to do. I haven’t gotten any type of offer from the schools yet, but now that town meetings has hopefully approved the budget, something will happen sometime. Unfortunately things don’t happen very fast always at the schools, and in past, work hasn’t started until July 1st, a major setback because June is between May and July.
So I need some opinions, and fast!
Here are some pros and cons:
- Looks good, fortune 100 company
- Experience with business class software
- Better payment, More hours
- Learning something new
- Possibly moderately repetitive work (it is an internship)
- 30 min drive to work, and very high gas prices
- 3 years in a row, does anyone look at loyalty anymore?
- Broad range of experience, networking, computer setup, server related functions
- Not so much money or not as many hours, but the feeling that someone can learn something because you did your job well
- Freedom to explore alternate routes, “self-manage”, encouraged in depth learning of something new
- Computer vacuuming / cleaning isn’t super exciting
- I can ride my bike and save gas
See I don’t know, I still very much enjoy helping work with the high school computer, mostly because it makes me feel like I’m directly benefiting something, and I see the work I do is something that I am good at, and it wouldn’t be a completely easy adventure to replace me. If I could only do both…. sigh… Then again many say I should take another challenge, try something bigger and newer.
But overall, I’m confused. I am asking for your advice, what would you do it you were me? Any thoughts would be very very very sincerely appreciated.
The faster the better would be good as I’d like to have a decision by tomorrow afternoon.